Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Study of Poultry in their Natural Habitat

Today I suddenly felt a deep desire to add lots of pretty bird pictures to this blog. All my life I've been told by TV shows to follow my heart, so enjoy an overdose of lovely feathered creatures, and some hopefully entertaining writing by yours truly.


Sparkle Sparkle the Serama, being broody yet again

Yellow and Chipmunk, crazy Seramas
 Seramas are, as far as I can tell, the broodiest chicken breed in existence. They lay a handful of tiny eggs in spring, and then plant themselves in various nesting boxes for the summer. Sometimes they spend autumn and winter there too, just for good measure. The roosters are generally very sad about this, because they really don't like being growled at by their girlfriends.


The ducks: Hazelnut, Jazz, Charlie, and Unicron the Chaos Bringer

Charlie, the evil duck.
"I'll get you next time, Amri. Just you wait and see..."
 I think ducks are the funniest birds I've ever seen. They quack in alarm any time a human approaches and usually hurry away in irrational terror, but become very brave at breakfast time. Charlie, the drake, even becomes brave enough to almost attack me sometimes, although he's never actually gotten up the courage to actually do it.
 I think he knows that if he hurts me, he's likely to become dinner. He really does look delicious, does he not?

Lord Firestar crows triumphantly
 The three oldest birds in the flock are Lord Firestar, Turtle, and Kooshie. All three are doing well.
 Lord Firestar recently had a fight with his son Patience, and only won because I intervened and scolded Patience.

Turtle the Easter Egger
 Turtle has learned to fly over the chicken yard fence, and spends her days dust bathing in the garden and/or staring in the window. I'm pretty sure she wants to be human, and I do my best to respect her dreams. She returns to the yard on her own whenever she likes.

Kooshie the Easter Egger
 Kooshie is older, grumpier, and is missing her beard, but she still loves to perch on my arm. She also enjoys sitting on the feed can and glaring at everyone. She resembles an adorable Mad-Eye Moody.

 There are also about five crows who protect the flock from eagles. Our birds heed their warning calls and take cover, while the crows fly after the eagle and chase it away. The crows only steal a few eggs and some food scraps in exchange, so they're probably the best and cheapest guard animals around.

 I'm running out of things to talk about here, so enjoy this really old photo of Serama hens in their natural habitat? It is an awfully cute picture, after all, and it seems like a good way to wrap this post up.
Old picture of broody Seramas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love getting replies!



If you have a chicken question, I highly recommend that you visit BackyardChickens.com. There are some brilliant people there, and they can almost certainly answer your questions better than I can.