Saturday, September 22, 2012

It's the Circle of Life

Well, today Yikes died. She was about five years old and had been looking pretty droopy lately, so I guess it wasn't a surprise. Of course, even the fact that I was expecting this to happen didn't make it any less sad.
I guess this makes Sleeve-Eater the last of the original Plain Old Chickens flock. Fortunately she still seems healthy. Hopefully she'll stick around for another year at least.

~~~

But I have good news too. A few days ago, Jazz hatched six fluffy little ducklings. They follow her about, peeping whenever she accidentally leaves them behind, and often hop into the waterer to take a bath. Jazz and Charlie  are very protective of their babies and seem to love chasing off the chickens when they come too close.
Unfortunately, I don't currently have any pictures to show you. I'm sorry.

~~~

P.S. My web browser doesn't do exclamation points at the moment. Feel free to imagine them where ever you think they're needed.

3 comments:

  1. I just randomly came across this post and I feel very sad. I personaly think chockens are pretty boss animals.
    I hope Sleeve eater lives to a long age and I wish luck to Jazz. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of the loss of Yikes. It's always hard to lose one of your chickens. But congrats on your new batch of ducklings! Having new babies around to smile at should make your loss a little easier...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You remind me of my father, he talks to his chickens everytime he feeds them and could tell each one apart just by how they sound. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love getting replies!



If you have a chicken question, I highly recommend that you visit BackyardChickens.com. There are some brilliant people there, and they can almost certainly answer your questions better than I can.