Thursday, October 22, 2009

Foot baths

Lord Firestar has dirty feet.  I don't know how he does it but they are caked in poop!  The answer: foot baths and cage cleaning.  I filled an empty sour cream container with warm water and stuck his feet into said container.  Three changes later, his feet were looking better until "cock-a-doodle-doo!" when I had to put him back in his cage.  Next time (after I publish this) I will add a little soap.  THEN I will clean that cage!  How does he mess it up so quickly?
  I love him anyway, he is the nicest rooster I've ever met.

6 comments:

  1. I don't get nice roosters. The ones that don't attack for meaness, attack because they want food. :( Little Chicken, a rooster we hatched from the incubator, and Bojangles, our barred plymouth rock both chase and bite until the food is tossed. Then they won't give the time of day for all the eating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad! I hope you'll get a nice rooster someday. A nice rooster is worth his weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's he deal with the foot bath? Did he stay in on his own?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to hold him still but he hardly struggled! Such a good boy, he always tolerates me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to have dirty feet trouble with my little Porcelain Barbu D'Uccles! They grow very feathered boots. I hope if I have cockerels in my batch of chicks they grow to be as lovely as Lord Firestar:-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope so too. It's rare but you never know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love getting replies!



If you have a chicken question, I highly recommend that you visit BackyardChickens.com. There are some brilliant people there, and they can almost certainly answer your questions better than I can.